Have you seen the 300 movie ? Do you like its fantastic effect ? If the answer is yes, this tutorial is for you. It will show you how to implement amazing things to your photos.
What you need to have: Adobe Photoshop
What you will learn: colour mood adjustments + depth of field effect + film effect
PS: âŒ˜ key for Mac users / CTRL key for Windows users
Colour mood adjustments
1. Adjust the Hue/Saturation: âŒ˜U/CTRL-U
2. Adjust the brightness and contrast: Menu > Image > Adjustments > Exposureâ€¦
Depth of field effect
3. Duplicate current active layer by dragging it to the â€˜create a new layerâ€™ button located at the bottom of Layer window.
4. Apply lens blur on the new layer on top: Menu > Filter > Blur > Lens Blurâ€¦
Adjust according to your own preference.
5. Click on the â€˜add layer maskâ€™ button at the bottom of Layer window. Then click and select the â€˜Layer mask thumbnailâ€™ (the white rectangle).
6. Select brush tool(b), set the master diameter to 400px. Then choose the focus point in the photo and click on it.
7. Create a new layer by clicking the â€˜create a new layerâ€™ button located at the bottom of Layer window.
8. Fill the new layer with black colour: reset colour to default black & white (d), switch black colour to background (x), fill the layer (âŒ˜-del/CTRL-backspace)
9. Set the opacity of the black layer to 70% by pressing â€˜7â€²
10. Use erase tool(e), set the master diameter to 400px. Then start erase the center of the photo.
11. Flatten the image: Menu > Layer > Flatten Image and add noise: Menu > Filter > Noise > Add Noiseâ€¦
12. Add black bars on top and bottom of photo and itâ€™s done!
Use Rectangular Marquee Tool(m) to select (drag) upper part of photo, hold the shift key and select the bottom part, fill with black colour (âŒ˜-del/CTRL-backspace)
You can also add an extra step to twist the colour into this mood by using â€˜Color Balanceâ€™(âŒ˜B/CTRL-B). Drag the slider towards cyan and blue for Shadows, Midtones & Highlights.
Author: Kevin Yeoh
Copyright @ ebin 2007